PEST – Analysis for the development of a biomass production network in the Prefecture of Korça and the Region of Western Macedonia
In this study we tried to understand the current situation of biomass production in the two cross-border regions that include the Prefecture of Korça and the Region of Western Macedonia with the aim of promoting the development of a biomass production network in the region. The conducted study followed the steps below:
Review of the biomass concept for energy generation and its classification.
– Presentation of the estimations of biomass potential in both, the Prefecture of Korça and the Region of Western Macedonia in order to identify the most important biomass sources.
– Definition of the “biomass producer” concept which represents the most important actors in which this study focuses.
– Identification of the biomass producers in each of the two cross-border regions of interest.
– Data gathering in order to estimate the supplied amount of biomass they produce, accompanied with an estimation of the demand for biomass produced. Face to face interviews were conducted with wood pellet producers while the data for pilot Paulownia plantation in Kozani was obtained by the study on regional examples of biomass energy done by the Greek partners of this project.
– An analysis of the Political, Economic, Social and Technological factors that are likely to impact the activities of the respective biomass producers.
– The last step of this study includes conclusions for the “fertility” of the two cross-border regions to host and promote biomass production.